[ Home Page ]
[ Eiffel Archive ]
[ Eiffel Classes and Clusters]
eGTK - Eiffel/Gtk Interface
Written by Richie Bielak et al.
- Targets ISE Eiffel 4.3 and 4.4, and SmallEiffel -0.78beta6 with
GTK+-1.1.14 under Linux (works with Red Hat Linux 5.1).
- Version 0.3.4 - 15 December 1999.
- Copyrighted Eiffel Forum Freeware License.
(277,631 bytes) - the eGTK library source code
(Eiffel/Gtk home page)
(CVS tree of the most recent version of the library)
(Richie Bielak's home page)
http://www.gtk.org Download GTK+ from here-Eiffel/Gtk
code has been tested with GTK+ 1.1.14.
Gtk+ is a widget toolkit for X-window
systems. Gtk+ appears to be the most popular open source toolkit available
today on Linux. Although Gtk+ was developed to work with X-windows,
a port to MS Windows exists. In principle you should be able to use
the eGTK Eiffel bindings with Gtk+ on Windows.
The main goal of the eGTK library is to be portable among the
various Eiffel compilers. The development is done with ISE
and SmallEiffel compilers. Ports to Halstenbach and Visual Eiffel
will be done at a later date.
The compilers being used are:
Please note that you must use SmallEiffel -0.78 because that's the first
version that supports environment variables in "loadpath.se" files.
- December 15th, 1999 - version 0.3.4-1 released. Fixes to get rid of some SE warnings and some cleanup of obsolete classes.
- December 10th, 1999 - version 0.3.4 released. Includes number of bugfixes, improvements to GTK_PIXMAP and GTK_WIDGET, and new examples. See CHANGELOG file for details.
- October 25th, 1999 - removed all references to EIFFEL_GTK (replaced with EGTK) and renamed the archive file to eGTK-0.3.3-1.tar.gz.
- October 15th, 1999 - version 0.3.3-1. Bug fixes in GTK_IDENTIFIED and related C code for 64-bit machines.
- October 9th, 1999 - version 0.3.3. This is mainly a snapshot of current CVS, but many things changed (for details see CHANGELOG). Here are the highlights:
- Directories for the classes were rearranged. You have to adjust your
Ace and loadpath.se files.
- Lots of new widgets added.
- Generalized memory management for all widgets (see EGTK_WIDGET_FACTORY).
- New examples.
- 6/2/99 - version 0.3.2 released. Many additions, new widgets, bug fixes etc. Revised design for handling callbacks - idea taken from Paul Janzen's and Francois Pennach's SmallEiffel library. We also named the library eGTK.
- 2/13/99 - added GTK_FILE_SELECTION widget and updated to work with Gtk+ 1.1.14.
- 1/2/99 - added GTK_DIALOG widget and a test in test_gtk. Fixed some classes that produced warnings under SE (thanks to all who pointed out the error).
- 12/16/98 - We now have a mailing list to discuss the Eiffel/gtk project. I also added a link to Paul Janzen's page which contains another version of the SmallEiffel/Gtk+ interface. My plan is to integrate this code into my library.
- 12/7/98 - I adapted the code to SmallEiffel. Now all of this library can be compiled with SmallEiffel (I'm using -0.79beta7).
- 7/25/98 - my code was retested with Gtk+ 1.0.4. I started to work on a canvas widget in Eiffel. I split handling of GDK events and GTK signals into separate classes.
- 3/11/98 - initial posting.
Current development team includes Dave E. Martin XIII, Oliver Elphick and Richie
Bielak. Code was also contributed by Jörgen Tegne´r and we have "stolen" code
and ideas from Francois Pennach and Paul Janzen's library.
Applications written using Eiffel and one of the above bindings.
- Frank Boehme wrote the game of Neutron and Co-Neurton,
using SmallEiffel and Paul Janzen's libraries.
Current version: 0.3.2
Current code size: 11,500 LOC of Eiffel
- The toolbars example does not work. It was created to
show a bug in SmallEiffel compiler (a bug that has been fixed) and the
example was never completed.
- The GDK_IMAGE inherits from GDK_DRAWABLE. This is not correct.
TODO: - see the TODO files included in the archives. There is tons
of work to be done.
[ Home Page ]
[ Eiffel Archive ]
[ Eiffel Classes and Clusters ]